The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update is now live for all the Samsung Galaxy S6 G920F devices. If you don’t want to wait for the OTA Update to arrive in your region, then you should check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to manually update your device.
Use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S6 devices.
Check the model number of your device under Settings> About Phone menu. Make sure that the model number of your phone is SM – G920F.
Do not attempt to update any other different Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
Download the Samsung USB Drivers here and install them on your PC.
The usb drivers will allow your phone to be detected by the computer. Also, the usb drivers are needed by Odin app.
Odin is the application that you will have to use in order to complete the updating process.
NOTE: you need to disable the antivirus and Samsung KIES on your computer, as these apps are going to try and block Odin from running on your PC.
Enable the USB Debugging option from the Developer Options section.
If you can’t find Developer Options, then you can go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
Return to Settings, scroll down and there you will find Developer Options menu.
If you install the update over a rooted firmware, then you should know that you will lose root access. Also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed will be replaced with a stock Recovery.
You can install this update over a custom ROM, too. But, for that process to be completed successfully you will have to apply an extra ‘factory reset’ operation.
The ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post and you need to apply them so that your tablet will be able to boot in normal mode.
Factory Resetting the device doesn’t delete any files from internal storage.
The ‘factory reset’ process is going to wipe the system partition and it has to be applied only if you have installed a custom ROM on your Galaxy S6 phone.
If your Galaxy S6 is running 100% stock Android, then you can go straight to the installation process and start the update.
Your device’s battery charge has to be over 50%, as it will prevent your device from powering off during installation.
This is a guide that you should use only in case you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the device nor in case you lose any data files.
Read the entire post and do not skip any steps listed in this post.
How to update Galaxy S6 G920F to Android 6.0.1 G920FXXU3DPB8 Marshmallow using Odin:
- Download the G920FXXU3DPB8 tar.md5 file from here.
– if you don’t want to install the UK Vodafone firmware, then you can check all the other Marshmallow builds available here.
- When the firmware zip is downloaded you can extract the contents comprised within.
– you should obtain the G920FXXU3DPB8 tar.md5 file from here.
- Download Odin3 v3.10.6 from here.
– unzip the files and save them on your PC.
- Power off the smartphone.
- Boot the phone in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect your device to computer via USB cable.
– wait for Odin to detect your smartphone.
– if the device is not recognized you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Go to Odin’s main screen and click on the ‘Options’ tap to disable Re-Partition option.
– do not edit other default Odin settings.
– if ‘re-partition’ was already disabled you should skip this step.
- Press AP in ODIN. You will be asked to find and firmware updating file.
- Find the G920FXXU3DPB8 tar.md5 file and load it in Odin.
- Hit START button to confirm the Samsung GalaxY S6 Marshmallow updating process.
– do not press anything until the update process is done installing all files on your phone.
- When the update is done you will see the PASS alert shown by Odin and your phone will reboot.
– note that the first boot process of this new official firmware is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Unplug the Galaxy S6 phone from computer when the “optimizing apps” menu appears on your phone’s screen.
- Use your usual login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 update for your Galaxy S6 device.
If you’ve encountered any problems during installation, then you will be forced to check the extra info below.
If Odin shows the FAIL alert or other error during installation, then you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once.
Make sure that in case you decide to repeat installation, then you won’t be skipping any steps and that your Galaxy S6 phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If the PASS alert is shown by Odin, but your phone is unable to go past the boot animation screen or it enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to ‘factory reset’ its system partition.
The ‘factory reset’ steps below should be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to factory reset your Galaxy S6 and force it to boot in normal mode: power off the device, then boot it in Recovery Mode to select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm process, then reboot your smartphone in normal mode and you’re done with this tutorial.